Tips for Writing Sweepstakes Rules
For the Facebook Sweepstakes, we've included a Disclaimer and some default Terms and Conditions to protect your restaurant.
You can include additional Terms and Conditions if you like. Good things to include perhaps are rules on how to redeem or pick up your prize. For example, if you're giving away sports tickets, you may want to state that the winner must pick up tickets in the restaurant by X date.
Here are some tips about things you should NOT do:
1. Don't change the rules of the Sweepstakes mid-way through.
2. Don't extend the Sweepstakes. End the Sweepstakes at the original date you stated.
Sweepstakes Rules Best Practices:
1) Be sure to state how will the information collected be used. Guests who enter will get email communication from the restaurant, addresses will not be sold, etc.
2) State how to enter the contest: “Like the Facebook page and fill out required information.”
3) State which guests Eligibility (age, can employees enter, etc)?
“Fans must be over the age of XX to enter this sweepstakes. Employees of XX and their families are not eligible”
4) Be specific with entry period dates. Make your sweepstakes close on a day when you are working and state when the winner will be picked.
“Sweepstakes runs from XX to XX and ends XX XX at 11:59pm. Winners will be announced on XX date”
5) State how the winner will be picked and announced (usually at random, announced via Facebook using first name and last initial).
“Winner will be picked at random and posted on Facebook with first name and last initial only on XX. Winner will be contacted by email. The winner has XX days from announcement to get in contact with XX otherwise a new winner will be selected”
6) State what the prize is- is there a price limitation? is alcohol included?, etc.
“Prize is a dinner for two at XX not to exceed $200” “Prize is a $100 gift card to XX which can be picked up from the restaurant/will be mailed”
7) Is the prize transferrable to another person?
“Prize will be administered in the form of a gift-card which can be used by the winner or given away”
“Prize is non-transferrable and must be used by the named contest winner”
8) Can fans enter multiple times?
“Each fan can enter only once, duplicate entries will not be counted”